At Mouquin's
| Support Type: | Canvas |
| Paint Type: | Oil Paint |
| Current Location: | Art Institute of Chicago, Illinois, USA |
American realist painter and illustrator William James Glackens (1870–1938) was a founding member of "The Eight," which subsequently became known as the Ashcan School. In order to pay for his midnight painting studies at the Pennsylvania Academy, he began his career as an artist-reporter. Glackens worked as an illustrator for the Philadelphia Record, Public Ledger, and Philadelphia Press while attending the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. In 1895, he went to Paris with Robert Henri, who, along with Everett Shinn, George Luks, and John Sloan, ultimately became the unofficial group leader. Before splitting up because of stylistic disagreements, this group had one remarkable joint exhibition in 1908. At Mouquin's, a 1905 painting, shows members of that circle dining at a chic New York eatery. Glackens portrayed restaurateur James B. Moore sharing a drink with Jeanne-Louise Mouquin, wife of the proprietor, while the art critic Charles Fitzgerald and the artist's own wife, Edith, are mirrored in the enormous wall mirror behind them. Jeanne Mouquin is the main focus of the painting where flowing, striking brushstrokes are used to depict her cloak and outfit and her enigmatic, abstracted stare creates an unresolved tension. Glackens contributed to the development of a painting style that was appropriate for the uncertainties and novel social activities of contemporary urban life by fusing portraiture with an ordinary genre scene. The picture also reflects a documented artistic dialogue with French painting: the composition draws on Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergère, using a similar mirror device to place a second couple in ambiguous relation to the foreground scene. Later in his career, Glackens shifted from this sombre realism to Impressionism, with Pierre-Auguste Renoir having a particularly strong impact. Through the Friends of American Art Collection, the painting was added to the Art Institute of Chicago's permanent collection in 1925 and is still there today.
Sources:
